The Jesuit Order’s base in Milan will be forever linked with the figure of Charles Borromeo and his favourite architect Pellegrino Tibaldi, who designed the building and oversaw its construction between 1569 and 1586. A fine example of Counter-Reformation architecture, this monumental church has an aisleless nave with six columns on tall pedestals supporting the vaulted ceiling, in the style of a Roman bathhouse. Francesco Maria Ricchino’s choir and the cupola were added in the 17th century, while the façade, its two distinct tiers decorated with niches and cartouches, was completed in the 19th century. Of the altars, particularly noteworthy is the extraordinary sculptural composition incorporating Lucio Fontana’s relief of the Assumption, surely one of the finest examples of 20th-century religious art in Milan. Equally splendid is the sacristy, where a number of artefacts and artworks testifying to the historical devotion of the ballerinas of La Scala, located nearby, are displayed amidst handsome baroque, walnut furnishings.