Once upon a time, Piazza Oberdan had its very own day spa, the underground Albergo Diurno Metropolitano Venezia (Venezia Metropolitan Daytime Hotel). Built to a design by the engineer Torriani and the architect Piero Portaluppi, it officially opened on 18 January 1926 offering baths, showers, changing facilities, manicures, pedicures, hairdressing and barber services in handsomely furnished salons that featured such elegant decorations as the bronze statue of Hygieia, goddess of health. After years of neglect and its ultimate closure, the Venezia was taken over by FAI. Work to restore the building and repurpose it as a visitor attraction is ongoing, but the “hotel” was able to reopen to the public in 2015.
Roberto Oldani Photographer, 2015 © FAI – Fondo Ambiente